Saturday, August 15, 2009

Happy Independence Day


Hi frnds..
Today is the 63nd Independence day of India. And celebrating it away from home sucks.. Been like 5 years since I was in India the last time it was August the 15th. There is no flag hosting here in US in the way it is in India... Missing India on this wonderful day!!!!!!

I still remember the days when I was in school and we had to go to school though it was a national holiday. We had to dress in white. Stand in line.. Either the chief guest or the principal will host the flag... We sang Jana Gana Mana... which is the National Anthem and then some programs.. and finally couple of sweets. It was such fun.

Though its not the same here but people celebrating this day in US try to bring back that home-like feeling. I have been in Dallas for 5 years and the Indian community in and around Dallas celebrate this day on the weekend. Its termed "Anand Bazaar Mela". It is always a pleasure to see the crowd in a mela style. But every year some thing came up and I wasn't able to go to see the Anand Bazaar. Hope fully will go this year.

Whether I am there or not... The day brings joy and happiness in me.... Wish you all a Happy Independence day !!!!! Jai Hind!!!!!





2 comments: